Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Left Hand of Darkness

Ursula K. Le Guin’s The Left Hand of Darkness was one of the more interesting, if not confusing stories I’ve read for this class. While I understand the cultural relevance and impact it had on the science fiction community, I was not completely enthralled with it as I would have liked to have been. The novel was a milestone for feminist works and the novel was critically acclaimed for its sexual ambiguity. Personally, none of the characters were as compelling as I would have liked them to be; although I respect the novel for being a breakthrough when it was released, there are some critical flaws that I found unable to ignore as I read the book. I was never fully attached to any of the characters – specifically Genly Ai. I found myself to be a little emotionless as I read the book.


Throughout reading the book, a part of me felt a bit unfulfilled. I suppose because Le Guin’s expansive world was a bit overwhelming for me to understand; the ideas presented seemed interesting enough but there was room to divulge into more of the complexities of her characters and the culture she created. The ideas are great, but the plot? Not so much. It seems like it was more of a world building exercise on Le Guin’s part.

No comments:

Post a Comment